In late October 2021, the BfArM (Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices) has published the final version of the 2022 OPS procedure coding classification. The OPS, together with the ICD-10-GM (International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th revision, German Modification), forms the basis for the reimbursement systems in outpatient and inpatient care.
Two hundred twenty-three (223) proposals submitted by representatives of the professional societies and associations health insurance companies and healthcare institutions were incorporated in the OPS 2022.
Numerous content updates and new procedure codes inclusion concern the chapters 5 "Operations" and 8 "Non-operative therapeutic measures". Also, changes were made in chapters 1 “Diagnostic measures” and 3 “Diagnostic imaging”. Some examples of newly introduced codes per technology group are provided below:
- 5-35a.06 Implantation of an aortic valve replacement: Transapical;
- 5-35a.10 Implantation of a pulmonary valve replacement: Endovascular;
- 5-35a.33 Implantation of a mitral valve replacement: Transapical;
- 5-377.h1 Use of pacemakers with additional measurement or special stimulation function: With quadripolar stimulation function;
- 5-377.n0 System for stimulation of the conduction system: With 2 electrodes;
- 5-379.e Endovascular implantation of a stent prosthesis with valve function in the right atrium.
- 1-999.40 Type of cystoscope: Rigid cystoscope;
- 1-999.42 Type of cystoscope: Flexible reusable cystoscope;
- 5-339.b Use of an ultra-thin tracheobronchoscope.
- 5-46b.0 Additional information on operations on the intestine: Endoscopy using the push-and-pull-back technique;
- 5-46b.1 Additional information on operations on the intestine: Motorized spiral endoscopy;
- 5-339.25 Destruction of diseased lung tissue: Using radiofrequency ablation, percutaneous;
- 5-501.a** Local excision and destruction of diseased tissue of the liver (atypical liver resection): Destruction, local, using microwave ablation.
- 1-991.2 Molecular genetic identification of disease-specific markers for the determination of the residual tumor burden (Minimal Residual Disease [MRD]);
- 1-991.3 Disease-specific molecular genetic quantification of the residual tumor burden [MRD-monitoring];
- 1-997.18 Analysis of coding sequence including associated regulatory sequences, liquid biopsy: More than 40 kilobases.
- 5-209.10 Operation on the auditory tube: Balloon dilation;
- 5-310.20 Thyroplasty: With autogenous tissue;
The 2022 version of the OPS classification can be found here.
This news is just one of about 300 market access news collected by our team in the subscription services "HTA Alerts" and "Reimbursement Alerts" every two weeks from more than 80 organizations. Access our paid subscription services to stay on top of all developments specifically for your products in Europe (reimbursement news) and globally (HTA news).
Not ready for a subscription service? Subscribe to our free-of-charge newsletter delivered every second week to get updates about key reimbursement developments in Europe (10-12 news every two weeks). First EU issues of both newsletters are available for download free-of-charge.