Recent news and posts
Report on the outcomes of knee prostheses manufactured by Surgival
Surgival is a company that is specialized in the production and distribution of implants for traumatology, prostheses for orthopedic surgery and surgical instrumentation. The company is based in Valencia.
AQuAS wanted to describe the characteristics of the intervention procedures and patients who had the Genutech model knee prosthesis inserted. The Genutech model is manufactured by Surgival. Furthermore, AQuAS wanted to compare the results these interventions with the results of the rest of the RACat's (Catalan Arthroplasty Register) knee implants for the period 2005-2016. Finally, AQuAS wanted to evaluate the survival of the patients with Genutech knee prostheses for this period.
The authors used the data from the RACat, which are dating January 2015 – December 2016, and which come from the participating centers (53/61 centers of the Comprehensive Health System of Catalonia). A total of 73,929 arthroplasties were considered, out of which 6,488 (8,8%) used the Genutech model prosthesis.
- In primary arthroplasties, considering all models included in the RACat (included Genutech), most patients were women (> 70%), had at least one comorbidity (> 65%), and were taken care of at home (> 90%)
- The main reason for the intervention was osteoarthritis (> 90%)
- The main reason for re-intervention (considering all RACat models) was mechanical complications and, more specifically, mechanical or aseptic loosening
- The mean follow-up for prostheses of the Genutech model was 4.2 (2.7) years, whereas for all the prostheses included in the RACat it was 5 (3.2) years
- During this period, 5,902 Genutech primary prostheses were included in the safety and survival analysis; however, only 195 (3.3%) were reviewed, mainly due to mechanical complications
- Considering the survival analysis, the accumulated 5-year review risk of the Genutech prosthesis (3.8; 95% CI:[3.3-4.4]) is similar to the one observed in the other RACat models (considered jointly) (3.9; 95% CI:[3.7-4.1])
- The authors conclude that the Genutech model manufactured by Surgival has a similar survival to that of the other RACat models considered jointly
See the full report in Catalan here.
Subscribe to our newsletter delivered every second week not to miss important reimbursement information.