On October 27, 2022, the BfArM (Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices) published the final version of the 2023 OPS procedure coding classification. The OPS, together with the ICD-10-GM (International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th revision, German Modification), forms the basis for the reimbursement systems in outpatient and inpatient care in Germany.
Two hundred three (203) proposals submitted by representatives of professional societies, associations of health insurance companies, and healthcare institutions were incorporated in the OPS 2023.
Numerous content updates and new procedure codes inclusion concern chapters 5 "Operations" and 8 "Non-operative therapeutic measures". Also, changes were made in chapter 1 “Diagnostic measures”. The examples of newly introduced codes per technology group are provided below:
- 1-274.30 Exploration of the atrial septum: Using a needle;
- 5-377.n2 System for stimulating the conduction system: With 1 electrode;
- 8-83d.9 Other percutaneous transluminal vascular interventions in the heart and coronary vessels: Insertion of a guidewire prior to termination of balloon angioplasty.
- 5-429.jh Measures for self-expanding prosthesis: Reopening, endoscopic;
- 5-44a.3 Further operations on the stomach: Endoscopic reopening of a prosthesis;
- endoscopic removal of pancreatic necrosis via puncture channel;
- 8-530.e Therapy with open radionuclides: Endosonographically controlled implantation of P-32-labeled microparticles in the pancreas.
- 5-802.a↔ Refixation (reinsertion) of the medial capsular ligament apparatus of the bone;
- 5-80a.y Open surgical operations on the acetabular labrum: Not specified;
- 5-86a.22 Computer-assisted planning of operations on the bones of the extremities: Using patient-specific target instruments;
- 5-935.1 Use of coated osteosynthesis material: With precious metal coating.
- 5-38a.90 Endovascular implantation of stent prostheses: V. cava: Stent prosthesis without valve function;
- 5-38a.9x Endovascular implantation of stent prostheses: V. cava: Other;
- 5-393.63 Creation of another shunt and bypass of blood vessels: A. poplitea: Popliteopopliteal.
This news is just one of about 300 market access news collected by our team in the subscription services "HTA Alerts" and "Reimbursement Alerts" every two weeks from more than 80 organizations. Access our paid subscription services to stay on top of all developments specifically for your products in Europe (reimbursement news) and globally (HTA news).
Not ready for a subscription service? Subscribe to our free-of-charge newsletter delivered every second week to get updates about key reimbursement developments in Europe (10-12 news every two weeks). First EU issues of both newsletters are available for download free-of-charge.