In November 2021, the National Board of Health and Welfare released an annual update of the Swedish procedure coding system (Classification of Health Care Measures, KVÅ) that will come into force in January 2022. KVÅ includes two parts – medical procedures (KMÅ) and surgical procedures (KKÅ) divided by chapters based on anatomical principles.
In 2022, six new surgical procedure codes will be introduced, five of which related to ECLS (extracorporeal life support) and ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), and one code for bronchoscopy. Some examples are provided below:
- FXF05 Peripheral percutaneous cannulation for extracorporeal life support (ECMO/ECLS);
- FXF30 Combination of central and peripheral cannulation for extracorporeal life support (ECMO/ECLS);
- UGC32 Bronchoscopy with electromagnetic navigation.
Furthermore, structural changes will be made in Chapter V "Operations on the aorta, peripheral vessels, and lymphatic system," which was introduced in 2021 (replaced Chapter P). It covers the entire artery tree from the aortic ascendant after the coronary arteries depart. In 2022, sub-chapter VK "Operations on the femoral artery and its branches" (122 codes) will be deleted and replaced by two new sub-chapters:
- VL "Operations on infrapopliteal arteries as well as operations from the femoral and popliteal arteries to infrapopliteal arteries" with a total of 145 new codes;
- VJ "Operations on the femoral and popliteal arteries as well as the AV graft and AV fistulas from the femoral artery" with a total of 173 new codes.
In 2022, a total of 53 new medical procedure codes (KMÅ) will be added concerning extracorporeal treatment, ENT, in-vitro diagnostics, neurology, orthopedic, and others. Some examples are provided below:
- DD021 Upgrading of speech processor for a cochlear implant;
- DV100 Treatment with extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal (ECCO2R);
- DV101 Treatment with venovenous (VV) extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO);
- AJ100 Triglyceride Exhalation Test. Note: used to diagnose exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, measuring the ability to cleave triglyceride enzymatically;
- AN105 Fracture risk assessment based on clinical factors with or without FRAX.
See the full details here.
This news is just one of about 300 market access news collected by our team in the subscription services "HTA Alerts" and "Reimbursement Alerts" every two weeks from more than 80 organizations. Access our paid subscription services to stay on top of all developments specifically for your products in Europe (reimbursement news) and globally (HTA news). First EU issues of both newsletters are available for download free-of-charge.
Not ready for a subscription service? Subscribe to our free-of-charge newsletter delivered every second week to get updates about key reimbursement developments in Europe (10-12 news every two weeks).