Recent news and posts
Report about trends of interventional cardiology procedures in Italy
Increasing trends in number of interventional cardiology procedures has been observed across Italian centres. GISE analysed data from 2016 and published trends for 2012–2016 together with brief overviews for all Italian Regions. Some of the procedures showed a marked increasing trend while others have been performed less frequently than in the past years.
- PCI: Total number of procedures performed during 2016 was 153,922 (+5.1% if compared to 2015). In 2012, the total number was 138,030.
- Thrombectomy: Total number of procedures performed during 2016 was 14,688 (-5.6% if compared to 2015). In 2012, the total number was 17,136.
- DES: Total number of drug eluting stents (DES) used during 2016 was 211,751 (+11% if compared to 2015). In 2012, the total number was 137,680.
- FFR: Total number of fractional flow reserve (FFR) guides used during 2016 was 11,000 (+10.3% if compared to 2015). In 2012, the total number was 7,868.
- IVUS and OCT: After a decreasing trend in 2012–2015, the total number of intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) procedures showed a +16% in 2016 (7,802 procedures). The opposite happened to optical coherence tomography (OCT) which in 2016 showed a -3% (2,364 procedures) after an increasing trend in 2012–2015.
- TAVI: Total number of TAVI performed during 2016 showed a marked increase with 4,592 procedures (+32% if compared to 2015). The report shows also the different TAVI systems used in the last two years: Edwards Sapien and CoreValve were the most used with 1,275 (38%) and 1,587 (48%), respectively in 2016.
- Mitral clip: Total number of MitraClip devices used in 2016 was 907 (+31.6% if compared to 2015). In 2012, the total number was 291.
- Left appendage occlusion: Closure of LAA showed a marked increase with a total of 674 procedures (+49.4% if compared to 2015). In 2012, the total number was only 208 procedures.
- Patent foramen ovale closure: Closure of PFO showed an increase with a total number of 2,516 procedures (+5.8% if compared to 2015). In 2012, the total number was similar: 2,541.
The report shows also an overview of the activity of the single centres in terms of procedural volume and equipment (software, angiographic systems, hybrid operating room).
See the full report in Italian here.
Subscribe to our newsletter delivered every second week not to miss important reimbursement information.