Recent news and posts
Omega-loop gastric bypass evaluated by French HAS
In September 2019, the French High Authority for Health (HAS) released an assessment report for gastric bypass, also known as omega loop in severe obesity. The evaluation aimed to compare omega-loop gastric bypass (OLGB) with Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB) in terms of efficacy and safety.
The following conclusions were provided by HAS:
- OLGB cannot be determined as an alternative treatment to RYGB considering the safety aspects
- There is a lack of efficacy and safety data for the OLGB with a biliopancreatic loop of 150 cm. The method should be studied in a framework of clinical research as follows:
- Efficacy evaluation should be based on several criteria including the long-term weight loss (five years), the resolution of co-morbidities and the quality of life measured by validated scores
- The safety assessment should include a five-year fiberoptic examination considering the risk of lower esophageal cancer
- The outcomes of the patients who underwent OLGB should be similar to those after RYGB with specific attention to nutritional complications (protein-energy malnutrition, micronutrient deficiency) and lower esophageal cancer with fibroscopy examination at five years after the procedure
See the full health technology assessment report in French here.
Subscribe to our newsletter delivered every second week not to miss important reimbursement information.