In March NICE has published five new Medtech Innovation Briefings for the following devices:
- Mollii suit is used for reducing spasticity and improving motor impairment which happens because of upper motor neuron damage
- Zio Service is a remote cardiac monitoring system used for detecting cardiac arrhythmias
- Bair Hugger temperature monitoring system (formerly known as SpotOn) is used for measuring core temperature in people having surgery
- TopClosure Tension Relief System is used to stretch skin to improve wound closure after injury or surgical procedures
- SimpliCT is a laser device used to guide non-vascular puncture procedures in which CT or cone‑beam CT imaging is used
One medical technologies guidance was published ENDURALIFE powered CRT-D devices for treating heart failure.
Clinical Guidelines for early and locally advanced breast cancer, familial breast cancer, stroke and transient ischaemic attack in over 16s were updated. NICE has published new clinical guideline for mental health of adults in contact with the criminal justice system.
NICE has published two new Interventional Procedure Guidance:
- Extraurethral (non-circumferential) retropubic adjustable compression devices for stress urinary incontinence in women
- Sacrocolpopexy with hysterectomy using mesh to repair uterine prolapse
Both procedures should only be used with special arrangements for clinical governance, consent and audit or research due to inadequate quantity and quality of current evidence on the safety and efficacy.