Recent news and posts
Thousands of people in United Kingdom set to access diabetes and obesity prevention services through innovative digital products
More than 5,000 people are expected to benefit from a pilot project which will see five companies and eight areas of the country test drive a range of apps, gadgets, wristbands and other innovative digital products, which starts this month.
The eight pilot areas are:
- North East London sustainability and transformation partnership (STP)
- Somerset STP
- Humber Coast and Vale STP
- Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire STP
- Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire STP
- Lancashire and South Cumbria STP
- Central London, West London, Hammersmith and Fulham, Hounslow and Ealing (CWHHE)
Users will be able to access health coaches and online support groups as well as set and monitor goals electronically. Some patients will also receive wearable technology to help them monitor activity levels and receive motivational messages and prompts, which is being made available on the NHS for the first time. This online method of receiving support has the potential to have a similar impact to face-to-face interventions – helping bring down high blood sugar levels and in turn prevent or delay onset of Type 2 diabetes.
Heathier You: The NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme was officially launched last year to support people who are at high risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. Those referred on to the face-to-face programme get tailored, personalised help, this includes; education on lifestyle choices, advice on how to reduce weight through healthier eating and bespoke physical activity programmes, which together have been proven to reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
This new pilot offers similar support, assistance and guidance but through the use of the new digital interventions such as:
- wearable technologies that monitor levels of exercise
- apps which allow users to access health coaches
- online peer support groups
- the ability to set and monitor goals electronically.
See full details in the English here.
Subscribe to our newsletter delivered every second week not to miss important reimbursement information.