The Austrian Institute for Health Technology Assessment (AIHTA) is conducting a research project “Framework for reimbursement decisions of digital health technologies (mHealth) and its (retrospective) application on selected examples”. The project started in May 2020, with expected completion in November 2020.
The aim of the project is to test the applicability of the currently available frameworks on digital health applications based on international experience.
The following research questions should be answered during the research:
- Which international evaluation instruments for digital applications (standalone software, mHealth) are there that can be used for refund decisions?
- Which digital applications (standalone software, mHealth) are already being paid for by social/health insurance in selected countries?
- What evidence of benefit is there for the digital applications that have already been refunded? Which should be available according to the international assessment instruments?
The following methods are used to answer the research questions:
- A systematic search for reviews of evaluation instruments for digital applications for refund decisions, and, if necessary, for their evaluation;
- Hand search for digital applications that have already been refunded (standalone software, mHealth) by scanning the websites of digital health applications and social/health insurance websites in selected countries;
- Hand search for evidence of the benefits of the digital health applications found in method 2, application of international assessment tools.
The full details in German can be found here.
This news is just one of about 300 market access news collected by our team in the subscription services "HTA Alerts” and “Reimbursement Alerts” every two weeks from more than 80 organizations. Access our paid subscription services to stay on top of all developments specifically for your products in Europe (reimbursement news) and globally (HTA news). First EU issues are available for download free-of-charge.
Not ready for a subscription service? Subscribe to our free-of-charge newsletter delivered every second week to get updates about key reimbursement developments in Europe (10-12 news every two weeks).