Recent news and posts
New guideline on neurogenic bladder disorders published in Germany
The German Society for Neurology (DGN) has published a new version of the S1 guideline "Diagnostics and therapy of neurogenic bladder disorders." It is valid until January 2025.
The authors recommend the following diagnostic cascade:
- Neurological and urological examination, if necessary, gynecological examination
- Bladder diary for at least three full days
- Urine sediment examination (medium jet or better catheter urine)
- Residual urine measurement (sonographically or by single-use catheterization)
- Urine flow measurement (Uroflow)
- (Video) urodynamics (so-called bladder pressure measurement) with pelvic floor electromyography (EMG)
- Urethrocystoscopy and urinary bladder cytology
- Kidney sonography
- Creatinine, urea, possibly 24-hour creatinine clearance
- Lasix or stress isotope nephrogram.
If vesicorenal reflux has already occurred, it is advisable to use these procedures to document the initial findings. Based on these steps, a diagnosis can usually be made. Differential diagnosis should also distinguish psychiatric and psychosomatic diseases.
The guideline in German can be found here.
Subscribe to our newsletter delivered every second week not to miss important reimbursement information.