A paper comes in response to the European Commission's impact assessment on ways to strengthen the use of and cooperation on Health Technology Assessments (HTAs) at European level.
Med Tech Europe proposes five key principles for such a cooperation:
- The demand for assessments should come from national and regional decision-makers
- Member States that share a common unmet need should collaborate on a voluntary, non-legislative basis
- Avoid compromising the existing well-functioning, distinct market access model for medical technologies, which delivers timely access to innovation
- Focus on those medical technologies that are truly transformative
- Identify the optimal point in time for performing HTAs in order to capture the full value of the technology
Read a position paper here.