Implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs)
Ask the expert
The report presents a summary of reimbursement situation for implantable cardioverter defibrillators.
Both Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICDs) and Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Defibrillator (CRT-D) are considered. Use of ICD is considered for ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation.
Reimbursement analysis covers the following procedures:
- Implantation of ICD system
- Replacement of ICD system
- Removal of ICD system
The only reimbursement within public / statutory health insurance systems is considered.
Report includes essential information about reimbursement and national funding, including:
- Brief overview of reimbursement system for medical devices
- Procedure coding for technology
- Diagnosis coding
- Payment mechanism for technology
- Reimbursement tariffs for technology
- Restrictions in indications or scenarios for use of technology
- Policy considerations by payers and policy-makers about technology
Reimbursement information is provided for the following geographies:
- England (UK)
It is also possible to add analysis in Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Romania, Russia and Turkey.
Manufacturers of devices for implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) include:
- Abbot Vascular (Ellipse, Fortify Assura)
- Biotronik (Itrevia, Inventra, Intica, Inlexa)
- Boston Scientific (Emblem MRI, Inogen Mini, Momentum, Perciva, Resonate EL, Vigilant EL, Dynagen Mini)
- MicroPort CRM (Platinium)
- Medtronic (Visia AF, Evera, Protecta‚ Secura, Virtuoso, Entrust, Intrinsic, Primo)
Table of content is not available at the moment. Report is still ongoing.
The report presents a summary of reimbursement situation for implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Both Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICDs) and Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Defibrillator (CRT-D) are considered. Use of ICD is considered for ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation. The analysis covers procedure coding, payment mechanism, reimbursement tariffs and policy restrictions in 11 EU countries including Austria, Belgium, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland.Read more
On 20th of July, 2018, the Austrian HTA body, the Ludwig-Boltzmann Institute (LBI) released an assessment of the subcutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillator to determine coverage of the service. Authors concluded that evidence is insufficient to make conclusions about the comparative effectiveness of subcutaneous and transvenous ICDs. However, a substantially lower risk for lead complications in patients treated with subcutaneous ICD.Read more
At the beginning of August 2017, the French National Authority for Health (HAS) published a health technology assessment of systems for remote monitoring for implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD). The aim of this assessment was an update and clarification of arrangements for the provision of implantable cardioverter defibrillator systems (ICDS) to improve the quality of care for patients with ICD and to promote the deployment of effective solutions in the country.Read more